Meet Elizabeth Martinez-Podolsky

17 Sep 2017 11:17 AM

Cynthia

Let me introduce you all to Elizabeth Martinez-Podolsky! Elizabeth works as a Multicultural Liaison Officer for the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. Elizabeth is from South Texas-Rio Grande Valley but currently lives in Ames Iowa with her life partner Joey and her children. Students can come fine her as 0020 Curtis Hall.  

What do you love most about ISU?

International Night by International Student Council! To see students perform and share a part of themselves is really a treat!

What is your favorite color?

I enjoy Pink and Green. Both colors look great together. And no, these aren’t my Greek colors, though my Greek color is nice too: Cardinal Red. J

What is one thing you miss the most from home?

I miss weekend cook-outs. In South Texas, BBQ is a way of life. You create community around carne asada and every weekend is something to celebrate: birthdays, quinceneras, weddings, anniversaries, baby showers, etc. Most importantly, you share your food with neighbors and strangers who become friends.

If you could have any super power, what would it be?

To be able to speak any language and dialect! How cool would that be?!

What is your favorite meal of the day and Why?

Breakfast on a weekend. I get to wake up and open the windows in my kitchen and hear the birds. If my kids are up, I am able to ask them what they want to eat, instead of rushing and making whatever is easiest.

Name a hobby or interest you have?

I love the arts. I enjoy music, dance, theatre, nature, opera, you name it. To me art expresses what we can’t always express in words, it’s just another form of communication and comes from a place of passion- anger, love, happiness, frustration, etc. It’s exciting to get to appreciate it and I love finding it when I least expect it: natural phenomena, geometry, language patterns, protest, cuentos and in love.  

What goes on the "perfect sundae?

Chocolate, banana slices, and walnuts. Yum.

What is one thing you want people to know to know about you?

I believe everything is connected. We need to be connected to something to be well. I enjoy catching up with friends and making new friends. 

Staff/Faculty Interview     College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Cynthia