Preparing for the Praxis Exam

05 Mar 2019 3:11 PM

Guest Blogger Guest Blogger

I received funding from Multicultural Student Affairs in order to take my PRAXIS Exam.

What is it?

This exam is required for all future educators. In order to pass the exam, you need to receive certain scores that have been set by Iowa State University.

This exam consists of three main topics: reading, writing, and mathematics. Most things to expect pertain to these topics.

For example, reading consists of reading certain passages, and answering questions that best fit the responses.

Mathematics was the hardest one for me. I have personally always struggled with math. Math consisted of different topics. For example, area of certain shapes, geometry, etc.

Writing was the easiest. I have always loved to write, and I enjoy writing in my free time.

How did you prepare?

What I did to prepare myself for the exam was that I bought two books that were particularly for the PRAXIS, and studied each topic. I spent a little more time studying for math, since I knew that was going to be the one I was going to struggle with the most. I have always made notecards when studying, so I also did that for math. I made notecards of the hardest problems, and focused on those.

What surprised you?

I think the most surprising thing was the fact that this exam is almost five hours. We go in knowing how long it is, so it shouldn't really be a surprise, but it still is. That is just one really long exam.

Adventure