Request Professional Development Funds by Alanna

18 Feb 2020 3:04 PM

Guest Blogger Guest Blogger

Photo of Geelong, Australia

Photo by:gryffyn m

My name is Alanna Maxwell, and I’m a junior in Kinesiology & Health, Pre-OT, minoring in Psychology.I have been a Carver scholar since freshman year, and I am so thankful to the opportunities I’ve had because of the GWC program. Last spring, I studied abroad in southeastern Australia in Geelong, a major suburb about an hour’s train ride south of Melbourne. Even though my scholarship helped me out immensely, I was still living alone and supporting myself in another country for four straight months. Couple that with a major car repair as soon as I returned home, and let’s just say my finances have seen better days.

The “Pre-OT” distinction of my degree indicates the intention to attend grad school for Occupational Therapy which is an additional 2-3 years of school. I have wanted to be an OT since my senior year of high school. Something they neglect to tell you is all of the costs associated with just applying for grad school. The Graduate Records Examination (GRE) is a standardized test required by many if not most graduate schools just to apply, much like the SAT or ACT. The GRE is an expensive but necessary step on my academic path.

Students involved with MSA have the opportunity to apply for Professional Development funding to be used for things just like this. Applications for funding are available on the MSA website and take less than ten minutes to fill out. Funding up to $150 can be used once per academic year. The process has been smooth and I can continue to pursue my dream of becoming an OT thanks to MSA!

Adventure     Study Abroad