Meet Grace Shultis: Writing and Media Center Consultant

22 Sep 2020 8:24 AM

Guest Blogger Guest Blogger

Beginning September 17, ISU’s Office of Multicultural Student Affairs & Writing and Media Center offer FREE peer tutoring services for MSA students working on any form of written, oral, visual, or electronic communication!

• Mondays, 12:00-1:30 p.m.
  • Thursdays, 7:00-8:30 p.m.

Communication Consultant, Grace Shultis, will be available weekly during the above times to work with you on communication projects or answer any of your communication questions! Join her consulting office hours via Webex at this link: https://iastate.webex.com/meet/writectr

If you are not available at the above times or would like to spend more time working with Grace or another communication consultant, please schedule appointments at the Writing and Media Center! https://www.wmc.dso.iastate.edu/

Photo of GraceGet to Know Grace

Year: Senior

Major: Technical Communication, secondary major: Linguistics, minor: Chinese Studies

Hometown: Shellsburg, IA

Explain your role with MSA/WMC. My role is to help students identify and reach their communication goals. I can help at any point in the writing process, from brainstorming to polishing.

What do you hope students gain from participating? I hope these consulting hours will serve as a more casual introduction to the WMC services and encourage students to visit whenever they would like. During my hours, I hope to serve as encouragement and guidance to students at any point in their writing journey.

Why do you work at the WMC?  I enjoy working at the WMC because I can help boost students' confidence in their communication skills. It's always a pleasure to see a writer leave a session feeling good about their work.

Why are you excited about this project? I am excited about this project because I think this is an excellent way to connect more students to the WMC's services. I'm able to help with any writing or answer any questions about the WMC!

What have been your strategies for staying organized this fall? I am staying organized this fall semester with my planner, Google calendar, and lots of sticky notes! I'm also trying this new app called 'Shovel' that compares my available study time with the expected workload to make sure I'm putting enough time into each of my classes.

Are there any fun facts about yourself you’d like to share? A couple of fun facts related to MSA: I'm a GWC scholar, and I am part of the 2017 APEX cohort! On a more personal note: I recently got a dwarf hamster! His name is Chester, and he's keeping me company while I study in my apartment.

Leadership Callout     Writing Media Center, GWC, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences