Multicultural Vision Program Application
How To Apply for the MVP Scholarship:
Submit the MVP Application by December 1, 2018.
All letters of recommendation for MVP applicants should be submitted by December 1, 2018.
Complete FAFSA by December 1, 2018 http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/
- School code is 001869
To meet eligibility requirements for MVP, prospective students must:
- Be a resident of the state of Iowa, and a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Be admissible to Iowa State University (summer trial students are not eligible)
- American Indian or Alaskan Native, Black/African American, Asian American, Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander, Hispanic or Latinx, or Multiracial on the application for undergraduate admission; or who have participated in a federally funded Educational Talent Search or Upward Bound program
- Demonstrate financial need based on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Have faced personal and/or financial challenges or hardships
When you complete the MVP application, you will be asked to provde the following beyond your basic information:
- Name and contact information for one reference (not a family member)
- Responses to the two essay questions below.
- Number of college credits earned (if any)
- List of Advanced Placements coures taken (if any)
- List of college coures taken (if any)
Application Essay Questions:
- Briefly explain (in 500-600 words OR 4,000 characters or fewer) why you are deserving of this award specific to individual challenges and or financial hardship you have faced or will face in seeking a college education and your potential to succeed. Additionally, describe your preliminary goals for the future. Please describe any unusual circumstances in your life, either personal or academic, through which you have shown unusual persistence, resilience, or strength of character. What challenges of personal and/or financial hardship have you faced? How have you dealt with these challenges? Why have you chosen Iowa State University? What skills do you possess that will make you a successful student and future graduate of Iowa State? Describe any special talents, skills, or interests that distinguish you from your peers.
- Iowa State's Principles of Community include respect, purpose, cooperation, richness of diversity, freedom from discrimination, and honest and respectful expression of ideas. To learn more about the Principles of Community, click here. Briefly discuss which of these principles most resonates with you (in 500-600 words OR 4,000 characters or fewer) As you prepare this essay, we encourage you to consider the following: How have you exhibited this principle? Why do you believe this principle is important?
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- When is the application due? The priority deadline is December 1, 2018 at 11:59pm.
- Can I begin my application and come back to it later? While your browser may save your responses if you are using the same computer to complete the application, it is not guarenteed. We advise that you plan to complete the application at one time.
- I submitted my application, but now need to change something. What do I do? If you need to make a small change or you have new/different information, you can email the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org with the change. Please include your first and last name and your email address in the body of the email. If you submitted the application on accident or need to change many things, you can begin a new application.
- I submitted an application prematurely and now I can't open the link anymore. What do I do?You can clear yoru browsing history and/or browser cache and then click on the link again, access th survey from a different browser (i.e. Safari, Chrome, Internet Explorer, firefox etc.), or access the survey from a different device. If none of these options work, contact the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs at email@example.com or 515-294-6338 and we will work with you to create a new application.
- I am currently attending another institution and will be transferring to Iowa State. Can I still apply? Incoming transfer students are not eligible for the award.
- I graduated two years ago from high school and will be entering ISU this fall as a new freshman. Can I still apply? The MVP award is only open to students comign directly from high school who graduated in the 2018-2019 academic year.
- Who can serve as a reference? Any non-family member who can speak to your potential for academic and personal success. We recommend a teacher, coach, or guidance counselor. We also recommend you ask them before listing them as a reference, and let them know once you submit the application. At that point, they will be notified immediately and asked to submit the reference.
- When will I be notified about receiving the award? Review of applications will begin immedately after December 1, 2018. Notifications will be made in early 2019.