Prospective Students and MVP Application
To meet eligibility requirements for MVP, prospective students must:
- Be a resident of the state of Iowa, and a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Be admissible to Iowa State University (summer trial students are not eligible)
- Identify as Black/African American, Hispanic/Latinx, Asian American, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, American Indian/Alaskan Native, or Multi-Racial
- Demonstrate financial need based on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Have faced personal and/or financial challenges or hardships
Submit an MVP Application:
- Apply to Iowa State University
- MVP Scholarship Priority deadline was December 1, 2017.
- All letters of recommendation for MVP applicants should be submitted by December 1, 2017.
- Complete FAFSA by December 1, 2017 - http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/
- School code is 001869
Application Essay Questions:
Briefly explain (in 500-600 words OR 4,000 characters or fewer) why you are deserving of this award specific to individual challenges and or financial hardship you have faced or will face in seeking a college education and your potential to succeed. Additionally, describe your preliminary goals for the future. Please describe any unusual circumstances in your life, either personal or academic, through which you have shown unusual persistence, resilience, or strength of character. What challenges of personal and/or financial hardship have you faced? How have you dealt with these challenges? Why have you chosen Iowa State University? What skills do you possess that will make you a successful student and future graduate of Iowa State? Describe any special talents, skills, or interests that distinguish you from your peers.
Briefly explain (in 500-600 words OR 4,000 characters or fewer) what leadership experiences have been most meaningful to you. As you prepare this essay, we encourage you to consider the following: What does leadership mean to you? How have you incorporated your personal definitions into your leadership, community involvement or service experiences? What skills, talents or interests have you developed as a result of your leadership involvement and/or service experiences?