The 2019 MEN OF COLOR EMPOWERMENT SUMMIT is a comprehensive forum on issues of the importance of education, best practices and choices to increase graduation rates and close the achievement gap for men of color enrolled at Iowa State University* and beyond.
The summit will lead to awareness of the changing U.S. demographics by enhancing the experience of men of color through involvement and engagement, preparing them for a global mindset. The Summit is guided by the following themes: student success, career/professional development, identity development, and social/community engagement.
When: Saturday, November 9, 2019
Time: 8:00am - 4:00pm
Location: Memorial Union
Cost: Free for Iowa State University Students
MEET THE KEYNOTE SPEAKER
Community Activist and Founder of the Young Lords Party. Felipe Luciano is one of the most dynamic Latino public figures in the United States...more.
The Summit will:
- Emphasize the importance of education, best practices and choices to increase graduation rates.
- Raise awareness of the changing U.S. demographics by enhancing the experience of men of color through involvement and engagement, preparing them for a global mindset.
- Deconstruct narratives and build consciousness as to who men of color are and encourage their drive to serve as agents of positive change within their respective communities.
- Encourage participants to come away with a greater sense of purpose, accountability, motivation and dreams of what their future holds for them as responsible men.
- Bring together faculty, staff and students for a day of inspiration, networking, and success stories.
The 2019 Men of Color Empowerment Summit is sponsored in part by the following:
Gold Level ($5,000+)
- John Deere Corporation
THIS IS AN EVENT YOU DO NOT WANT TO MISS
*Participation at the 2019 Iowa State University MEN OF COLOR EMPOWERMENT SUMMIT is restricted to Iowa State University community members and guests. Please contact the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs for more information about The MEN OF COLOR EMPOWERMENT SUMMIT.